Archive for March, 2009

Color Day Exhibit in Special Collections

March 26th, 2009

The exhibit “Color Day at Wooster: A Rite of Spring” is currently on display in Special Collections, The College of Wooster Libraries. Throughout history many cultures have celebrated spring with festivals, dances, and community gatherings. This exhibit traces the history of Color Day through images, memorabilia, flyers, invitations and yearbooks from our College Archives Collection.

As early as 1899, the young women from Hoover Cottage, the women’s dormitory, celebrated the first day of May with a simple ceremony to crown their Queen of the May, Carrie Crowl (Class of 1900). By Spring 1905, the senior class called for a transformation of May Day into the first Color Day—a day set aside “to conserve and transmit college traditions and to cultivate college loyalty.” The early chapel talks and rallying around the Black and Gold soon gave way in 1911 to a full-scale production, complete with the crowning of the first Color Day queen, Helen Harrington Compton (Class of 1912). The earliest observances included a rose wreath drill and English folks dances, but by the late 1910s the celebrations also included many outdoor athletic events. Over the years the event has included elaborate pageants or teas, as well as formal balls. By the late 1960s Color Day became a more casual event. Marked by the changing times, Color Day events took the form of picnics and informal dorm gatherings. Although the tradition officially came to an end with the last Color Day in 1969, the college has continued to celebrate the greening of the campus with alternative spring festivals.

Materials will be on display March 25–May 15, 2009. Special arrangements can be made for classes or small groups to view more materials from our collection. For more information about the exhibit, contact Denise Monbarren at ext. 2527 or Elaine Smith Snyder at ext. 2155.

OhioLINK Electronic Journal Center Restored

March 19th, 2009

The OhioLINK Electronic Journal Center has been fully restored as of March 18.